Hazelnut Oat Healthy Cookie
I am always looking for that healthy cookie recipe. One that satisfies my sweet tooth but doesn't leave me feeling icky. I had some Kite Hill Cream Cheese (love this brand!) that I wanted to use up so I looked up cream cheese recipes. I found this chocolate chip cream cheese cookie recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie and decided to do my own spin on it.
Her cookies look delicious but since I wanted to substitute regular cream cheese with almond milk cream cheese, I decided it is probably best to make my own recipe altogether. Plus, I'm having a really fun time in the kitchen these days. It has been a great creative outlet for me.
First, I always gather all my ingredients to make sure I have everything I need. Here are ingredients and supplies you will need to make these delicious cookies:
Kite Hill Cream Cheese
So if you are like me and have to make your own oat flour you will want to process a little over a cup of oats in a food processor until it is finely ground. Then you are going to take a large mixing bowl and mix all the dry ingredients together.
Take another smaller mixing bowl and mix all the wet ingredients together. You want to use melted coconut oil so take this time to melt some on the stove, if needed.
Now all you have to do is mix the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients! Super simple and easy cleanup! Mix well in order to form into a big ball. Take a small amount in your hands and roll dough around to form bite-sized portions. I pressed the balls down a bit as I didn't know if they would flatten out (they didn't).
and Viola! They're delicious. I ate like 5 of them in the process of making this recipe.
I hope you guys like these cookies as much as I do! If you make this recipe make sure you tag me in the photo so I can see :) As always, I appreciate your comments. Let me know if you have any questions about substitutions.
Hazelnut Oat Healthy Cookie
Makes 12 cookies
1 cup oat flour
2 tablespoons chopped hazelnuts
2 tablespoons cacao nibs
2 tablespoons coconut sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
a pinch (or two) of Himalayan sea salt
2-5 tablespoons chocolate chips (as desired)
3 tablespoons Kite Hill cream cheese
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
2 tablespoons coconut nectar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Gather all your ingredients. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. If you are making your own oat flour, measure out a little over a cup of oats and put them in the food processor. Blend for a few minutes or until the oats turn into a fine flour.
3. In a large mixing bowl mix together the dry ingredients.
4. In a smaller mixing bowl mix together the wet ingredients. Make sure you melt your coconut oil on the stove first then let cool slightly before mixing with the other wet ingredients.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well. Form the mixture into a large ball.
6. Roll small portions of the dough into bite-sized pieces and place on the lined baking sheet.
7. Bake the cookies in the oven set at 325 degrees for around 8 minutes or until the tops start to brown.
8. ENJOY!! Store any leftovers in the fridge for about a week. Top with sunflower butter for a yummy snack.